I've decided to put some writings and poems here. Below is the second part of a story I had recently posted on Marlotus says blog called "Castles in the Sky But Dreamless". I was going to edit it some more but think I'll wait. I don't want to disrupt the story's essence at this time. Comments, thoughts, and critiques welcomed!
I was really just bored by it all, I mused. I had a castle with servants and a drawbridge and long wooden tables laden with bounties of food, overflowing the table’s edges. I did not lack for anything. I was beautiful with long blonde tresses flowing down my shoulders. Porcelin skin the envy of the kingdom with blue eyes like sapphire made men lust after me daily. Yet, it was not enough. Inside I was pale and felt on death’s doorstep. I felt such longing, for something unexplainable, not of this world. My heart was hardly pumping any more, passionless little beats would arise every so often.Something had to be done before I wasted away in a towering structure that fairy tales are based on. So, in a last desperate attempt, I would try the potion. A potion guaranteed to awaken the stirrings which had died sometime in childhood. I sighed deeply and decided to test the potion. What could it hurt, I thought. I grabbed a ladle swinging from a hook and walked over to the massive stone pot. Leaning over, I dipped the ladle into the dark brew and took a sip of the liquid. I had barely swalloed it down and was enjoying the heat filling my stomach when a strong wind started blowing all around me. It was a cold wind that seemed to come from the East and then from the West and then from the North, changing direction at a moment’s notice. My long gown began flapping all around me and then began wrapping itself tightly around me, seemingly coming alive before my eyes. I gasped, my breath now moving in short gasps. Spook, help me, I screamed in terror. The wind pushed more strongly at me, and the next thing I knew I had fallen into the pot. I tried to hold onto the edges, my long red nails like claws desperately seeking escape. Swirling around and around in the dark murk and then feeling a sucking from below was too much for me and then I vanished. “Meow”, said Spook half-heartedly in response to the ruckus nearby, and then he collapsed back into cat dreamland. His mistress had vanished and well, he was tired. She’d be back for his feeding time, and in return he’d lick her hand tenderly and fall asleep on that magnificant bed upstairs. They had an unspoken agreement. Besides, she’d never left the castle for most of her life, so Spook twirled around and around and then comfortably tucked his tail around him and his face disappeared from sight into fur-warmed body.
Meanwhile, I seemed caught in a tunnel with no end. There was no light that I could see up
ahead so I guess I hadn’t died yet and gone to heaven. But where was I going? Why me, I implored to the silence around her, broken only by the whirling sounds of moving faster and faster somewhere. “Spook” hellp me, you damned cat, can’t you get off your behind and rescue me. Bemoaning the fact that I had sent all the servants to their quarters so I could be alone with the brew and potiions, I took a deep breath and awaited my fate. Let go, don’t resist an old buddha saying from a book I had read came to my mind so with muscles relaxing, I chanted these words. My body suddenly became pliable like water and was soon rushing over rocks and boulders. Fish jumped up and down over and under me and into the air. One fish stood out from the rest, his fur lined body grazing me and milky green eyes capturing my attention. Meow the fish thing emitted a soft sound and I knew it was Spook. Where the hell was I, I thought, now rattled. I craned my liquidy head, or what I thought was my head to the distant shore to the left. A grisly bear had a big hairy paw in the water, trying to catch his lunch for the day. I was thankful Spook fish was nearby for to lose him to someone’s dinner would break my heart.
I heard a rushing sound coming at me and noticed a huge dip in the water up ahead. A waterfall was fast approaching me and I prayed for salvation. I needed to live, dear God, for I was just now on the brink of spiritual awareness. What I had thought was important was no longer even remotely on my mind. Let me survive this so I could discover myself anew? I prayed and prayed and chanted mantas and pleaded with the spirit guides as the rushing water accelerlated.
Suddenly I felt a pulling tear behind me and sharp little teeth sinking into my form. I’ll call it form because it had no rigidity any longer. I strained to see what was hooking into me and saw Spook’s face submerged in the water. Those sharp little teeth that had given me countless love bites in days passed were now clenched tightly, and I felt myself being pulled backwards. “You sweet cat” I murmured thankfully in between the feeling of sharp pain from the teeth and the tugs.
Grrrrrrr. Suddenly behind Spook I saw a blackish brown furry body with paws outstretched pulling on Spook. There was a chain gang now forming and I could really feel myself being pulled almost in half. (For some reason, even though the physical pain was unbearable, I thought about the irony of it all. I had, for much of my lilfe, felt always in limbo. Wanting to go in a certain direction but being torn by indecision and ultimately picking the safe route). Suddenly something snapped inside of me and I was torn into two parts, one part going towards the waterfall, the other half being pullled into the grips and teeth of Spook and Bear. No, I screamed from the front of myself as I turned onto my back. Suddenly, I felt tingling and saw that my body was being reformed, but it had a tail now at the lower end. Scales glistened blue, purple and green in the bright sunlight and I began to flap this new part of me in the water raising bubbles. I had become a mermaid. Oh my God this is totally outrageous. I almost longed for the black murky existance I had just been shortly before. I didn’t know how to be a mermaid. I would surely drown. Suddenly I was pulled under water, deep almost to the bottom and sent plunging down into a place where creatures with sharp teeth and lights emitting from their bodies resided. As I squinted in the deep blue around me, I saw something glowing up ahead. I swam towards the vision and noticed my castle up ahead. Yelping in excitement, I moved my tail faster and faster until I had reached the drawbridge. Sitting on the doorstep was Snoop, licking his lips in anticipatiion of his mistress soon feeding him. Was this a dream? I wondered? Had the potent caused this hallucination? Would it ever wear off? As I neared the cat, he looked up at me with wide eyes and said “You smell fishy”. You need a bath” I knew that the adventure I had longed for was happening. My heart pumped with excitement and I opened the door to my castle. I had come home but in ways I had never dreamed of. Snoop followed me inside, accepting of my new image. As long as there was tuna in his bowl soon, he didn’t much care!
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What would we do without Spook! How enchanting!
Thank you Doris!
Stay tuned....
Post a Comment