
"Bees and Butterflies, Seeking Freedom"
Watercolor and Insect Stamps, Digitally Enhanced
I felt some pretty chaotic emotions jumbled up inside of me as I worked on this piece yesterday. All the different images that emerged confused me on some level. I wanted there to be a theme, a purpose for what I was doing. All these bits and pieces clamored for attention, to be part of this creation, or so I felt anyway. As I melted into my creative zone, words would pop into my head here and there. Puzzle pieces, wind, melting, connection, space, freedom would move in and move out of my brain space. Then everything began to jell together and I can now write about what this piece means to me.
It means searching for freedom, freedom to express who we are in our own authentic way. Sometimes it is puzzling to figure this all out, how to get from point A to point B, say. The bees and butterflies are flying creatures, unafraid to move higher and higher into realms beyond us. Yet, they struggle as well. The forces of the elements, such as the wind indicated here, is a challenge to overcome. The big bee is encased in a cement like enclosure, similar to a fossil. It seems to be stuck in the world of life and society as we know it, hampered by materialism. If a bee can be materialistic, I am not sure, probably more symbolism here. Perhaps it has other functions it has not tapped into as of yet. Several other bees and butterflies are entwined in cords, trying to break free of their restrictions, but not quite there. Some of the structures these creatures are on or in, are beginning to melt away, shaking their very foundation of who they are or were. Like icebergs or glaciers beginning to thaw, allowing preconceived perceptions to die away. The big butterfly to the left glows in light colors, set apart from the rest. It knows it has connected to its heart, its soul, and that shines through, yet still has cords connected to its earthly dimensions. It knows it just needs to work a bit harder to embrace its heart totally, to conquer the fear that gets in its way.
All of the creatures here are striving for the same purpose, on the same path, to be authentic and free. This is my interpretation here for this piece, and I am glad I wrote the words here to give myself some clarity about its meaning. Was this a dark piece? Maybe regarding mystery and chaos and intrigue. But it got lighter as I thought about hope and dreams and possibilities. It was a fun creation to do, and by the way, thanks to April, for letting me borrow her little bee and butterfly stamps to "play" with. Sometimes I think stamps can be hokey, but in this case they seemed quite realistic.
Well, another fantasy piece I have birthed here.
It means searching for freedom, freedom to express who we are in our own authentic way. Sometimes it is puzzling to figure this all out, how to get from point A to point B, say. The bees and butterflies are flying creatures, unafraid to move higher and higher into realms beyond us. Yet, they struggle as well. The forces of the elements, such as the wind indicated here, is a challenge to overcome. The big bee is encased in a cement like enclosure, similar to a fossil. It seems to be stuck in the world of life and society as we know it, hampered by materialism. If a bee can be materialistic, I am not sure, probably more symbolism here. Perhaps it has other functions it has not tapped into as of yet. Several other bees and butterflies are entwined in cords, trying to break free of their restrictions, but not quite there. Some of the structures these creatures are on or in, are beginning to melt away, shaking their very foundation of who they are or were. Like icebergs or glaciers beginning to thaw, allowing preconceived perceptions to die away. The big butterfly to the left glows in light colors, set apart from the rest. It knows it has connected to its heart, its soul, and that shines through, yet still has cords connected to its earthly dimensions. It knows it just needs to work a bit harder to embrace its heart totally, to conquer the fear that gets in its way.
All of the creatures here are striving for the same purpose, on the same path, to be authentic and free. This is my interpretation here for this piece, and I am glad I wrote the words here to give myself some clarity about its meaning. Was this a dark piece? Maybe regarding mystery and chaos and intrigue. But it got lighter as I thought about hope and dreams and possibilities. It was a fun creation to do, and by the way, thanks to April, for letting me borrow her little bee and butterfly stamps to "play" with. Sometimes I think stamps can be hokey, but in this case they seemed quite realistic.
Well, another fantasy piece I have birthed here.
3 comments:
The central turquoise color with butterfly seems to have human form. It is a wonderfully intriguing piece, glad you enjoyed yourself!
I love how you write meaning to your pieces, Bev. It's poetry. And I thought I recognized that bee!
lovely art, and very expressive writing!lovely art, and very expressive writing!
I'd love for you to stop by my blogs also
art http://artsyedge.blogspot.com
writing http://aureliachrysalisemerging.blogspot.com
Post a Comment