This little writing was inspired by a stargazer daylily I took a photo of the other day. I wonder why certain subjects captivate me so perhaps the following words will explore that. What I realize after writing this is that so much more meaning can be revealed after the initial encounter.
Stars twinkle in the night sky, dancing like fireflies, a black velvet backdrop illuminating their glow. I wonder what it would be like to sit on one of heaven's creations, enjoying the vast view of life from another perspective. Shining brightly alone, like the North Star or being part of a constellation, making a significant impact in that way. Watching rainbows form, or puffy clouds lazily drifting by.
A stargazer lily pulls my attention earthbound. I ponder its existence, why it pulls me in from my celestial dreaming, grounding me. Not light-years away, not burning intensely, not set against a vast sky, yet its magnetic presence a magenta jewel filling my eyes. Tiny dark stars cover its plush petals, and stamens like shooting stars explode excitedly from its surface. In its own way, a heavenly being, perhaps a falling star now transformed for an earthly purpose in its new lifetime. And a solar system is now revealed. Revolving around the flower's center, a bee darts in and out, an astronaut exploring its savory gifts. A butterfly circles round and round in dizzying motions, a planet in its own right. A sunflower flanks the scene, and it appears a mini version of the sun, yellow petal rays extending outward. Shadows cross the stargazer, an eclipse evolves. So much more to see and take in when the blinders of reality come off and magic is allowed to enter.
My own longings to escape from inner restlessness, to explore universes far away are calmed by what surrounds me. I make a wish upon this stargazer and as its stamens like spaceships strike my soul, I know my dreams will come true. I sit on a granite bench, its cool hardness an earthly star. I have enjoyed the view here, from a more grounded perspective. I peer upwards one last time, wondering how many flowers have soared to realms unknown and now sparkle in a different way. And if and when they fall to earth again, I pray for a safe landing.
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So much beautiful imagery! Could make it's own book!
Lovely writing and very poetic.
Post a Comment